Thursday, November 1, 2012

SOME THOUGHTS AND A QUOTE

How many of us grew up in a little town or village built on a railroad line, not built on a busy highway or heavily traveled road, but a two lane road that leads off into the heartland.....mountains, hills, flatland or by a river or stream... where our hearts and our memories yearn for and come back to us in dreams of home.

"All things share the same breath...the beast, the tree, the man, the air shares it's spirit with all the life it supports."  Chief of Seattle

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  WOW!  That was a lesson for me from the 1970's when I moved to San Francisco and found beauty comes in many forms....not just the Anglo idea of beauty I grew up with in Virginia.  Huge lush lips...asses the size of hams, skin color in every range from milk white to ebony or freckled, hair both curly curly or pin straight, eyes small to large, thick lashes/fine lashes.  OMG my husband as a young man was gorgeous in no way I was attracted to as a girl....thin, thin rock star thin with cruel eyes protecting a heart of gold.  Eye colors not blue or brown but green or the color of root beer Popsicles.  An artist like a photographer looks for the soul of the subject and the soul isn't always in the eyes.

When I think of those handwritten papers done in no. 2 pencil in grade school with my left had dragging across what I'd written and the perpetual pencil carbon smudge on my left hand and in the eighth grade finding out if I turned my paper the other way and wrote backhanded the smudge didn't happen anymore and my paper stayed clean.  Eighth grade when I developed my own cursive flair that has lasted till today although expediency and age has caused me to abandon some of my most flourishy capitals but the signature is still the same.  All because of my right sided brain.

I never questioned or thought of Mayberry and Andy Griffith's character Sheriff Andy Taylor as anyone or anything or anywhere that was false or made up or different because that was my childhood.  Mayberry was just a little further south than Fairfax, Virginia.  

No comments:

Post a Comment