Tuesday, December 6, 2011

BEACH MEMORIES

     My family's beach trips were always to Mayo Beach. Three cars drove for the day trip and I got to ride with my Grandfather in his big  rust colored Hudson.   Aunt Bell and Uncle Bill drove their dark green  Hudson and Daddy and Momma drove their little cream colored Dodge Coupe--I'd love to have that car now and I have a picture of it somewhere. The Hudsons looked like big fat beetles and had back seats like couches to a little girl.  You had to drive from Virgina through Washington, D. C. and into Maryland because there was no National Capital Beltway!! I remember passing the big barns in Maryland and being told there was tobacco drying in them. You could always tell when you were getting close to the beach 'cause the sky got bigger and wider and grass got sparser and by this time we kids were so excited we were giggling and laughing with our faces pressed against the window.
     The kids were me, my younger sister Linda and my baby brother Freddie.  I remember my sister and I had matching one piece bathing suits in red gingham with bloomer legs.  Mom would slather us with lotion and in the afternoon make us wear t-shits so we wouldn't sunburn but I remember resisting one time and I got pretty red.  I loved going in the water it was warm and never higher than my waist and I got to float in a big inner tube.  Daddy would try to teach me to swim but I was always afraid to try and that stayed with me into adulthood.  My husband always says "those who are bound to hang need not fear water" I think he's quoting Mark Twain.  I loved the big bath house with showers on the outside but I never seemed to be able to get all the sand off and always felt gritty.  There were swings for after lunch and a tall pole with rings on chains that fascinated me but I could never get the hang of it.
     Lunch was always cold fried chicken  made by my Grandmother.   There was always cold sweet tea in a big one gallon cooler, potato and macaroni salads and sliced home grown tomatoes and rolls and watermelon brought in big coolers and baskets.  Cookies were the perfect dessert  for a beach picnic.  Once my Dad stopped at a little market and bought Tru Ade which was a non-carbonated soft drink that came in orange and grape with orange being our favorite.  Years and years later I was at Cobb Island with my good friend from work staying on her boyfriends boat and we found Tru Ade in a little market....nostalgia.  There were slot machines up on the hill in the back of the building where swimsuits, towels and umbrellas were rented... after all we were in Maryland and gambling was legal.
     The last time I was at Mayo Beach was the day after school ended in the 7th grade.  My Mom's best friend Ocie and her daughter my best friend Pat and our sisters and my brother and Ocie's sister who drove and her kids all piled into a big station wagon.  This time my baby sister Kim went with us she was only 3 months old.  We had a wonderful day and I'll treasure it forever.  My son-in-law Rick says that Mayo Beach is not like it was in my day and not a place to go to now.  I'll remember the way it was always and the fun we had.   

No comments:

Post a Comment