Friday, January 13, 2012

ALL MY SOAPS ARE ALL WASHED UP





I started watching Soaps with my mother in the early 50's when they were 15 minute segments televised around lunchtime. The CBS Soaps are the ones we watched and in the sixties we could get all of them plus General Hospital and One Life To Live on ABC.  Mom and I never did watch the NBC Soaps. The only one left I watch now is the Young and the Restless CBS which if I don't get to see it televised at 11AM here in the North Sacramento Valley CA. I can watch on Cable's Soap Net at 4PM or 9PM (even after midnight) LOL.   And yes, I watched Dark Shadows, too, back in the day and loved it. It was on late enough I could catch it after work. They're going to make a film of Dark Shadows and it may be in production now starring Johnny Depp.   RIP Love of Life, Search for Tomorrow, The Guiding Light, and As The World Turns . My daughter says when she was a young accounting major at Northern Virginia Community College and was working in the accounting office in Merrifield of a company that owned Hahn Shoes and several discount dress shops that they used to watch The Young and the Restless while on their lunch break. I think a lot of people who still watch soaps watch them in the lunchrooms of their offices on their lunch breaks and THAT may even be outdated now with all the new ways to watch TV shows (computers/laptops, phones, IPads). The demise of the soap I believe has come about because you don't have stay at home Moms now like you did fifty years ago.  Soaps are dinosaurs of a bygone era and are being replaced by talk shows of all kinds and a few reconstituted game shows.
  Thanks, Shar'on  BITD Northern Virginia for the good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment