Sunday, November 27, 2011

REFLECTIONS ON LOMA PRIETA EARTHQUAKE

Our South San Francisco, California house lies about 1,600 feet from the San Andreas Fault rip zone. During the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 my husband lost all the bulbs in his chandelier because it was swinging back and forth so hard they were hitting the ceiling. As he was running out the front door the china closet started to tip over and he pushed it upright as he passed. He only lost one saucer. His truck was parked in front of the house and rocking back and forth raising the wheels off the ground. Rod's neighbor was standing outside dazed with her underpants down around her ankles...she had been sitting on the commode when everything started to shake and she just got up and ran. Thank goodness she had on a dress. This was the earthquake that happened during the San Francisco Giants and Oakland A's World Series. These are my husband's memories. Rod and I had just started dating again and I still lived in Virginia. I was relieved to receive his phone call to let me know he was alright. I decided to record the memories because of the earthquake that happened in Japan yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment