Wednesday, April 17, 2013

READ TO ME

.What my daughter wrote:  "On our way to an appointment this morning Ginny spontaneously read me a passage of her book that she thought was funny.  My Mother would do this all the time.  I see so many similarities between the two.  This one really touched my heart."  Ginny is my eight year old granddaughter and what Robin wrote really touched my heart, too.

I'm the first year of the Baby Boom.  After lunch when I was in elementary school in first through third grade our teachers would read to us.  In first grade we curled up on the classroom floor on a blanket left over from our babyhood while the teacher read.  In second and third grade we laid our heads on our desks.

 My second grade teacher, Miss Davis, was southern and she read to us the Uncle Remus stories in her wonderful voice bringing alive the characters of Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox and Uncle Remus.  Please don't throw me in the briar patch you can do anything but please don't through me in the briar patch pleads Brer Rabbit to Brer Fox knowing full well he's home safe in the briars.  Brer Rabbit was a crafty guy.   We had a substitute teacher who finished the book for us but she couldn't read it like our teacher so the next day when Miss Davis came back we all begged her to reread the end to us and she did.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Remus

Miss Davis also read us the Freddy The Pig series.  I don't know how many books were in the series but the ones she read to us were barnyard stories for us country kids.  Freddy had a sidekick named Bertrand, a rooster, who operates from the inside of a boy robot which fascinated me.   I mentioned this series to someone I worked with a few years ago and he had actually bought a Freddy The Pig book online, a new issue of an old story, something about Freddy the Pig in the WWII era.    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_the_Pig
    https://www.google.com/searchq=freddy+the+pig&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Hx5vUZ-nH6jmiALbxYD4CA&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=785
            
There was another book in the third grade we loved.  Miss Guladger was our teacher and she came from a farm in Ohio and her Mom would send us homemade cookies.  She's the one who read us a book about a mole who just happens to somehow eat a cereal that, on the assembly line in the cereal factory, gets "fortified" with extra extra vitamins and  extra extra minerals by accident and it causes the mole to grow huge like a person!  I don't remember the name of the book or much more about the story and I tried to Google it with no success.  Thinking back now it occurs to me as an adult how paranoid this story was and perfect for the Cold War 1950's.

The new books for the time that turned into classics were read to us by the Librarian when it was our day to go to the school library.  She read to us Horton Hears A Who by Dr. Seuss when it was first published.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horton_Hears_a_Who!

 My favorite though is the classic for any age Charlotte's Web which she read to us over several weeks.  E. B. White wasn't afraid to let a much loved character die and it broke our hearts when, at the end of the book, Charlotte dies.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte's_Web

My own childtime reading was the funny papers every day in The Washington Post Times Herald.  Until I could read myself I used to get Daddy to read me the funnies.  My favorites were Li'l Abner, Smilin' Jack, Brenda Starr, The Phantom, Dick Tracey, Mark Trail, Mary Worth, Little Orphan Annie, The Katzenjammer Kids, Blondie, and Barnie Google and Snuffy Smith.  I know there were others I just can't fully visualize them on the tip of my memory.

I read to Robin when she was little.  Her favorite book was Never Talk To Strangers a long rhyming poem which made children aware in a fun way of danger.

"If you are hanging from a trapeze
And up sneaks a camel with bony knees.
Remember this rule, if you please-
Never talk to strangers."
http://books.google.com/books/about/Never_Talk_to_Strangers.html?id=siZpHjMbeZ0C

 It was lost but Robin found it again as an adult.  Robin collected children's books at one time before she was married.  I read 101 Dalmations, Alice in Wonderland, and I tried reading the original Raggedy Ann books but my tongue wouldn't turn in the British accent it was written in.  Winnie The Pooh was easier to read.

I have to admit I've read more to my grandchildren than I did to Robin.  Ally and Jimmy had a favorite book that was an alphabet book with Sesame Street Characters forming the letters and as I read it Jimmy and Ally would act out the letters and we'd laugh.  Then I bought a Fun With Dick and Jane reader for Ally when she was three, a reissue of the same reader I had in second grade, and she could already read when she started school and was grade levels ahead in reading.  Our favorite story was Baby Sally at her mother's dresser getting into her mother's powder and it's all over her and Spot and Puff and Tim.  She was four when she started kindergarten her birthday is in November.  In the country they let her go ahead and start.

 From the time the girls could crawl Rick and Robin read to Ginny and Evie.  Every night after bathtime a special book, chosen by the girls, would be read and then they were tucked in bed.  When Ginny was five and Evie three Rod and I babysat while Rick and Robin went to Hawaii.  Every night Ginny wanted  Raven read to her.  It was a tale of the Northwest where a raven turns itself into a baby, gets adopted by the chief 's daughter, then steals the sun and puts it in the heavens for all the people.  http://www.geraldmcdermott.com/raven.htm

Robin's friend Sally who is a librarian found a great book for Robin.  The book is titled Ginnie and Geneva.  Evie is short for Geneva because we couldn't have two Ginny's now could we.  http://www.amazon.com/Ginnie-Geneva-Book-Series-through/dp/B0030TVZIY
It turns out it's a whole series.

 I loved all the young kids books, especially Good Night Moon and Good Night Gorilla.  Robin says Evie's favorite is The Big Red Barn.  Evie is six years old now.  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/401730.Big_Red_Barn.

Books are my favorite gift to give.

Read to me.




2 comments:

  1. Did you get a chance to read "The Littel Prince" by Exupery [French Nobel Prize Winner]. I love that book and still read it from time to time. "Words are the source of Misunderstandings". "It is only with the heart one can see rightly. All that is essential is invisible to the eye". I love reading children books too. And Charlotte's Webb...I have it on DVD to enjoy with my two girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roopa, yes, I read The Little Prince in my 20's and enjoyed it very much. In this little story I tried to focus on my being read to, reading myself as a child (the funny papers), and reading to my grandchildren. There've been so many books. Somewhere in my little stories I write that my daughter said I read so much I left a freckle on every page.

    ReplyDelete